Intermediate in manufacture of herbicides & plant growth regulators.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 20/21/22 36/38
S 26 36/37/39
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.6 (25 C)
1.1613 g/cm3 (17 C)
Solubility in water
3.03 cp (20 C)
1.5359 (17 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials.
Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container.
Acids, acid chlorides, strong oxidizing agents, acid anhydrides, chloroformates.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen fluoride.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Combustible Liquid. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Absorption into the body leads to the formation of methemoglobin which in sufficient concentrations causes cyanosis.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
2921 42 10