Colorless solid. May be absorbed through the skin.
Dyes, organic synthesis, reagent for lignin, nitrite, chloroglucinol.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Toxic; Irritant; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
R 23/24/25 36 40 43 50
S 28 36/37 45 61
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1-.38 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.046 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.8 cp (50 C)
1.5534 (45 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Poison room locked.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Aromatic amines, strong acids, oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible solid. May react with metals and lead to the formation of flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Flammable when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizers.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Toxic and flammable vapors may form in fire.
NIOSH REL: Ca See Appendix A
Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. May cause cancer in humans. Chronic exposure leads to anemia, anorexia, weight loss, and cutaneous lesions.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
May be fatal if inhaled. May cause drowsiness, unconsciousness, and central nervous system depression. Inhalation causes anoxia due to the formation of methemoglobin and hematuria. Inhalation may lead to dizziness, weakness, and drowsiness, leading to stupor, unconsciousness, and even death. Inhalation may produce headache and cyanosis of the lips, the mucous membranes, and the fingernail beds, and the tongue.
Causes skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.