Resorcinol diglycidyl ether
- Diglycidyl resorcinol ether
- Oxirane, 2,2'-[1,3-phenylenebis(oxymethylene)]bis-
Clear yellow or straw-yellow viscous liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Mutagenic Category 3; Harmful; Irritant; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
R 21/22 36/38 40 43 52/53 68
S 23 36/37 61
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
42 - 43
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4E-5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.2178 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5421 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Storage location should be close to laboratory where it is to be used, so that only small amounts need to be transported. Carcinogens should be kept in only one section of storage area, explosion-proof refrigerator or freezer as required. The area should be appropriately labeled. An inventory should be kept showing the quantity of carcinogen and date it was acquired. Facilities for dispensing should be contiguous to storage area.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek protective clothing is not worn during the handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge, i.e. organic vapor/acid gas/HEPA (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas, SO2 and a high efficiency particulate filter). Splash proof safety goggles should be worn while handling this chemical. Alternatively, a full face respirator, equipped as above, may be used to provide simultaneous eye and respiratory protection.
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. Then, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
The substance can presumably form explosive peroxides.
Reacts with compounds having a labile hydrogen.
When heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This chemical is combustible.
MAK: class III:A2 (1997)
I-2B, N-2, CP65
Epichlorohydrin ingestion has resulted in cyanosis, muscular relaxation or paralysis, tremor, seizures, and respiratory arrest in animal studies.
Ingestion of polyamines may result in burns to the oral pharynx and esophagus. Dysphagia and drooling may be noted.
Fumes from cured epoxy resins may result in coughing, and bronchospasm persisting for several days.
Allergic contact dermatitis occurs in a significant number of occupational exposures. Exposures may result in severe burns to the skin. Eczema, urticaria and photodermatitis have been reported following dermal exposures.
Fumes from cured epoxy resins may result in periorbital edema, facial pruritus and inflammation of the eye.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Corrosive chemicals will destroy the membranes of the mouth, throat, and esophagus and, in addition, have a high risk of being aspirated into the victim's lungs during vomiting which increases the medical problems. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Transport the victim IMMEDIATELY to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.