- Essential oils, rosin
Brown, viscous liquid with a characteristic odor.
Used in lubricants, adhesives, electrical insulation, and printing inks.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Boiling point, °C
0.975 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect absorbed material.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents like nitric acid.
Fumes, smoke, oxides of carbon and hydrocarbons.
Wear self-contained breathing apparatus pressure-demand MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent) and full protective gear. Evacuate area and fight fire from a safe distance. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Keep run-off water out of sewers and water sources.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged exposure to vapors or fumes generated by heating of this product may lead to respiratory irritation with throat discomfort, coughing or breathing difficulty. Repeated exposure may lead to respiratory sensitization (asthma).
Ingestion of large amounts is unlikely. Ingestion of small amounts is not likely to cause acute toxicity or internal damage.
Short-term inhalation of vapors may cause dizziness, nausea, and respiratory tract congestion in some individuals. Single exposure is not expected to cause acute toxicity.
Contact with product at elevated temperatures can result in thermal burns. Frequent or prolonged contact may irritate the skin and cause a skin rash (dermatitis) in susceptible individuals.
Irritating vapors may be formed when product is processed at high temperatures. Exposure to hot material may cause thermal burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash skin with soap and water. Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes
Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.