- Clam poison dihydrochloride
- Gonyaulax toxic dihydrochloride
- Mussel poison dihydrochloride
- Paralytic shellfish poison dihydrochloride
- Saxitoxin hydrochloride
- Stx dihydrochloride
As a tool in neurochemical research. Saxtoxin.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Drug; Natural Product
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Stable in acid solution; decomposes rapidly in alkaline media. Very stable can be heated in water solution @ 120 C without loss of activity boiling 3-4 hr @ pH 3 causes loss of activity.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Initially, paresthesias (pins and needles) and numbness of lips, tongue, face, neck and extremities may occur. Headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, and a sensation of lightness have also been reported.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain may occur following exposure.
Respiratory distress and death due to respiratory paralysis may occur within the first 12 hours.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.