- Silicon sulfide (SiS2)
White chunks with the odor of rotten eggs.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R: 25 31 36/37/38
S: 8 20 26 36/37 45 60
Melting point, °C
2.02 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Protect from humidity and water. Store under dry inert gas. Keep container tightly sealed. Store in cool, dry conditions in well sealed containers.
Protective work clothing. Chemical protective gloves. Safety glasses or goggles.
Decomposition will not occur if used and stored according to specifications.
Acids, oxidizing agents, water/moisture.
Extinguish with CO2, sand, extinguishing powder. Do not use water. Wear self-contained respirator. Wear fully protective impervious suit.
Hydrogen sulfide, sulfur oxides, silicon oxide.
Inorganic silicon compounds may be acute inhalation irritants. Prolonged inhalation may cause pulmonary fibrosis known as silicosis. Sulfides show variable toxicity. The alkaline sulfides are similar in action to alkalies. They cause irritation of the skin and are corrosive by ingestion. The heavy metal sulfides are generally insoluble and show little toxic action except through the liberation of hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide, if generated, is toxic, a severe irritant and flammable. Effects include conjunctivitis, headache, nausea, dizziness, coughing, pulmonary edema and possibly death.
Seek immediate medical treatment.
Supply fresh air. If required, provide artificial respiration. Keep patient warm. Seek immediate medical advice.
Immediately wash with water and soap and rinse thoroughly. Seek immediate medical advice.
Rinse opened eye for several minutes under running water. Then consult a doctor.