Silver hydrogen fluoride
- Silver fluoride (Ag(HF2))
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
23/24/25 31 34
26 27 36/37/39 46
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed. Store in a cool dark, dry place.
Compatible chemical-resistant gloves. Chemical safety goggles. Protective clothing. Faceshield (8-inch minimum.)
Cover with dry lime or soda ash, pick up, keep in a closed container, and hold for waste disposal. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Stable if stored as directed.
Acids, moisture, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen fluoride, Silver/silver oxides.
Extinguish with water spray, carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder or appropriate foam. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
Harmful if swallowed, inhaled, or absorbed through skin. Target organs: liver and kidneys. May cause argyria (a slate-gray or bluish discoloration of the skin and deep tissues due to the deposit of insoluble albuminate of silver). Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. Inhalation may result in spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynxand bronchi, chemical pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract, eyes, and skin. Symptoms of fluoride overexposure may include salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, and labored breathing. Fluoride ion can reduce serum calcium levels possibly causing fatal hypocalcemia. Prolonged exposure to fluoride dusts, vapors, or mists results in perforation of the nasal septum. Chronic effects include excessive calcification of the bones, ligaments, and tendons.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
In case of contact, immediately wash skin with soap and copious amounts of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.