Metal, white, lustrous solid.
Manufacture ornaments, for electroplating, ingredient in dental alloys, for making vessels & apparatus used in manufacture medicinal chem, in processing foods & beverages, in handling organic acids, as catalyst in hydrogenation & oxidn processes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
10.50 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. No special precautions indicated.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong acids, strong bases, ethyleneimine.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, silver fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Moderate as dust exposed to flame, or by chemical reaction with oxidizers.
Dust is flammable.
TLV (metal): 0.1 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1997). MAK: 0.1 mg/m3; (1996) OSHA PEL: TWA 0.01 mg/m3 NIOSH REL: TWA 0.01 mg/m3 NIOSH IDLH: 10 mg/m3 (as Ag)
Chronic inhalation or ingestion may cause argyria characterized by blue-gray discoloration of the eyes, skin and mucous membrances. Chronic skin contact may cause permanent discoloration of the skin.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. Effects may be cumulative. Ingestion of silver compounds may cause abdominal pain, rigidity, convulsions and shock.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count.
May cause skin irritation. May cause skin discoloration.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water. Get medical aid if irritation or symptoms occur.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. If irritation develops, get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
7106 91 10