- 2-Propanol, 2-methyl-, sodium salt
- Sodium tert-butylate
- 2-Methyl-2-propanol sodium salt
- tert-Butyl alcohol, sodium salt
Light cream crystalline powder.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, corrosive
R 11 14 34 37
S 7/8 26 36/37/39 43 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
0.785 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Keep away from water. Corrosives area. Store protected from moisture.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Absorbs carbon dioxide from the air. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Water, moisture, alcohols, chlorinated solvents, halogens, oxygen, strong reducing agents, strong acids.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Reacts violently with water giving off flammable gas which may explode. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects.
Causes skin burns. Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. When substances becomes wet or comes in contact with moisture of the mucous membranes, it becomes an irritant. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes. If water-reactive products are embedded in the skin, no water should be applied. The embedded products should be covered with a light oil.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2905 19 00