- l-Ascorbic acid, monosodium salt
- Ascorbic acid sodium derivative
- Ascorbic acid sodium salt
- L-Ascorbic acid sodium salt
- Vitamin C sodium
C6H8O6 . Na
Minute crystals or white powder.
Antioxidant in chopped meat & other food.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Protective gloves and clothing. Safety goggles.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
If you spill this chemical, you should dampen the solid spill material with water, then transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with water to pick up any remaining material. Seal your contaminated clothing and the absorbent paper in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash all contaminated surfaces with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Aq solution are unstable and subject to quick oxidation by air @ pH greater than 6.0 Relatively stable in air on exposure to light it gradually darkens ascorbic acid gradually darkens upon exposure to light; however, slight coloration does not impair the therapeutic activity of ascorbic acid injection. Solutions of ascorbic acid are rapidly oxidized in air and in alkaline media; the drug should be protected from air and light. In concentrations greater than 100 mgml ascorbic acid may undergo decomposition with the production of carbon dioxide. Since increased pressure may develop after prolonged storage, ampuls containing ascorbic acid injection should be opened carefully. Ascorbic acid.
Reacts as bases to neutralize acids.
Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, various hydrocarbons.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This material is probably combustible.
Signs and symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways).
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
This material is a dust or may produce dust. Breathing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Breathing large amounts may be harmful.
Can cause skin irritation. Symptoms may include redness and burning of skin, and other skin damage.
May cause mild eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, and redness.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. If symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop, immediately transport the victim to a hospital.