Sodium alkylbenzene sulfonate
- Benzenesulfonic acid, linear alkyl, sodium salt
- Linear alkylbenzenesulfonate, sodium salt
- LAS, sodium salt
- Straight chain alkyl benzene sulfonate
Surfactant in heavy-duty laundry detergent powders and liquids, in light-duty liquid detergents, in household cleaners, and in general indust commercial institutional detergents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
ELIMINATE all ignition sources. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide or water spray. Large Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam or water spray.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common. Oral, pharyngeal and esophageal burns may occur following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline. Colitis, esophageal stricture, and irritation of mucous membranes have also been reported.
Occupational asthma has been reported. Aspiration may result in upper airway edema and significant respiratory distress. Difficulty in breathing has been described in animals inhaling high concentrations of anionic surfactants.
Skin irritation has been reported after prolonged occupational dermal contact. Skin dryness, irritation, and contact dermatitis have been reported following varying degrees of exposure to detergents.
Immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Spontaneous vomiting frequently occurs following ingestion. If spontaneous vomiting does not occur then significant ingestion is unlikely. Administration of activated charcoal is unnecessary. Observe patients with ingestion carefully for the possible development of esophageal or gastrointestinal tract irritation or burns. If signs or symptoms of esophageal irritation or burns are present, consider endoscopy to determine the extent of injury. Patient should be evaluated for burns to the mouth and esophagus following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing, wash exposed area with copious amounts of water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.