Odorless colorless solid.
Dehydrating agent, prodn of indigo & hydrazine, intermediate in prepn of sodium cyanide, in ammonolysis reactions, in claisen condensations, alkylation of nitriles & ketones, synth of ethynyl compound, acetylenic carbinols.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
highly flammable, corrosive, dangerous for the environment
R 11 14/15 19 34
S 7/8 26 36/37/39 43 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
1.39 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Reacts very violently, even explosively,
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Flammables-area. Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere. Use water spray to reduce vapors, do not put water directly on leak, spill area or inside container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, oxidizing agents, acids (mineral, oxidizing, e.g. chromic acid, hypochlorous acid, nitric acid, sulfuric acid), sodium nitrite, air.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, ammonia and/or derivatives, sodium peroxide fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. May form explosive peroxides. Flammable solid. May burn rapidly with flare burning effect. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For small fires use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. For large fires use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Toxic and irritating ammonia gas may be formed.
Toxic and irritating ammonia gas may be formed.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects. May cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and increased salivation.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. Olfactory fatigue may occur. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2851 00 80