Sodium bisulfate, solution
- Sodium hydrogen sulfate, solution
pH Adjustment, Fungicide, Herbicide, Microbiocide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Contact with acids liberates toxic gas
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.36 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container. Do not expose to air.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, sodium nitrate.
Oxides of sulfur, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or regular foam.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Decomposes with heat or oxidizing agents, releasing sulfur dioxide gas.
NIOSH REL: TWA 5 mg/m3
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed. Exposure may cause central nervous system depression, gastrointestinal and cardiac abnormalities. Sulfite compunds may cause a sever allergic reaction in sensitive individuals.
May cause asthmatic attacks due to allergic sensitization of the respiratory tract. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. May cause severe respiratory tract irritation and possible burns.
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist. May cause allergic contact dermatitis.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause eye injury.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #
IMO Chemical Code
IMO Pollution Category
IMO Hazard code