- Caustic alcohol
- Sodium ethoxide
- Sodium ethylate
White or yellowish powder.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Corrosive; Reacts violently with water
R 11 14 34
S 8 16 26 43 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
0.868 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.38 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store in direct sunlight. Store in a tightly closed container. Keep under a nitrogen blanket. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Water free area.
Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear neoprene gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Clothing: Wear neoprene gloves, apron, and/or clothing.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use. A NIOSH/MSHA approved air purifying dust or mist respirator or European Standard EN 149.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Flammable solid. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. DO NOT USE WATER! Use dry chemical. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Fire hazare if allowed to dry.
Burns rapidly, releasing dense, white, irritating fumes.
Reduced body temperature is common. Abnormally low blood pressure and rapid heart rate may be present. Bradypnea may occur early, and rapid breathing may develop in cases of metabolic acidosis. Elevated body temperature and labored breathing (possibly from aspiration) have been reported in infants. Women who consume ethanol during pregnancy may give birth to a child with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. No safe consumption level is known.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
Causes skin burns. Causes redness and pain.
Causes eye burns. May cause blindness. Causes redness and pain.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Do NOT induce vomiting and seek IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ADVICE.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2905 19 00