- Disodium nitrosylpentacyanoferrate
- Sodium nitroprusside
- Sodium nitroferricyanide
- Sodium nitroprussate
Clear dark red solid.
Reagent for the detection of many organic compds, e.g., acetone, aldehydes, also of alkali sulfides, zinc, sulfur dioxide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
1.72 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, toxic fumes of sodium oxide.
Extinguish using agent most appropriate for surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. May cause cardiac abnormalities.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III