Sodium hydrosulfide, solid
- Sodium sulfhydrate
Yellow-pink or white crystals, flakes or lumps.
Prodn of heavy water for nuclear reactors.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
49 (25 C)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.0047 ppm
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep containers tightly closed in a well ventilated area away from food products. Keep away from heat and water. Store at temperatures above 63 degrees F.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Rubber protective equipment, such as apron, boots, splash-proof goggles, gloves; canister-type respirator or self-contained breathing apparatus.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Cover solids with a plastic sheet to prevent dissolving in rain or fire fighting water. Water spill: Add soda ash (Na2CO3). Allow to aerate. Use mechanical dredges or lifts to remove immobilized masses of pollutants and precipitates.
Readily hydrolyzed in moist air to sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfide.
Reacts with acids rapidly and exothermically to release hydrogen sulfide Reacts violently with diazonium salts.
Decomposes to hydrogen sulfide and free alkali. When heated to decomposition it emits toxic fumes of sulfoxides and na2o.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
Some are oxidizers and may ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Patients may acutely present with low heart rate, rapid heart rate, hyperventilation, respiratory depression even to the point of apnea, and/or hypo-/elevated blood pressure. Asphyxial seizures, coma, and death associated with rapid respiratory paralysis may be noted following exposure to high concentrations. Headache, sweating, vertigo, anosmia, irritability, staggering gait, disorientation, somnolence, weakness, confusion, and delirium may be noted following exposure to non-fatal levels. Spontaneous abortions have occurred after exposure to life-threatening concentrations.
Nausea and vomiting may be noted. Weight loss can be seen with chronic exposure.
Respiratory depression, cyanosis, pulmonary edema, bronchitis, and dyspnea may be noted following exposure to non-fatal concentrations.
Skin exposure may result in severe pain, itching, and erythema, especially in moist areas. Cyanosis may be noted following severe exposure.
Hydrogen sulfide is a gas at room temperature (harbison, 1998), making ingestion unlikely.
Immediately move patient to fresh air and administer 100 percent oxygen. Prevent self-exposure and possible death by wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus to rescue the victim.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.