- Sodium dithionite
- Sodium sulfoxylate
Sodium dithionite is a whitish to light yellow crystalline solid having a sulfur dioxide-like odor.
Reducing agent to strip certain dyes from fabrics and in vat dyeing, bleaching agent for ground wood pulp, soap, straws, sugar.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
May cause fire; Contact with acids liberates toxic gas; Harmful
R 7 22 31
S 7/8 26 28 43
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
2.19 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Do not expose to air. Store protected from moisture. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Place under an inert atmosphere. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, moisture, air.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, carbon dioxide.
Flood with water.
May ignite on contact with moist air or moisture. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. Some may decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and increased salivation.
May cause allergic respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of dust may cause respiratory tract irritation. Olfactory fatigue may occur. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
May cause skin irritation and possible burns.
May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2831 10 00
Std. Transport #