Fine, white crystalline powder. Odorless.
Trace mineral added to animal feeds, disinfectants, antiseptic.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 7 22 36/37/38
S 17 26 36/37/39
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
420 - 430
Vapor density (air=1)
3.56 g/cm3 (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions. However, may decompose if heated.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, hydrogen iodide, sodium oxide, iodine.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Oxidizer. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials. Extinguishing media: Use water only! Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
May cause allergic respiratory reaction. May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema.
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Exposure may cause irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause eye injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III