- Disodium pyrosulfite
- Sodium pyrosulfite
- Disodium disulfite
White to yellowish crystals or powder with an odor of sulfur dioxide.
Pharmaceutic aid (antioxidant).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Harmful; Irritant; Contact with acids liberates toxic gas
R 22 31 41
S 26 39 46
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from strong acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions. However, may decompose if heated.
Strong oxidizers. Substance may produce sulfur dioxide gas when in contact with acids and/or water (ice).
Oxides of sulfur, toxic fumes of sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. To extinguish fire, use water fog, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or regular foam.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: TWA 5 mg/m3
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Reproductive effects have been reported in animals. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed. Exposure may cause central nervous system depression, gastrointestinal and cardiac abnormalities, and violent colic. Sulfite compounds may cause a severe allergic reaction in sensitive individuals and some asthmatics.
May cause allergic respiratory reaction. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Inhalation of dust may cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
2832 10 00
Std. Transport #