Sodium metasilicate nonahydrate
Colorless or white solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
2.62 g/cm3 (21 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong acids, strong oxidizing agents.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, silicon oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation and ingestion. Effects may be delayed. Chronic inhalation may cause lung damage, bronchitis, and silicosis. May decrease blood clotting. Prolonged exposure to respirable crystalline quartz may cause delayed lung injury/fibrosis (silicosis).
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. Contains crystalline silica which may lead to respiratory abnormalities and silicosis.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
I; II; III