Sodium permanganate trihydrate
A purplish colored crystalline solid.
Oxidizing agent, disinfectant, bactericide, manufacture of saccharin, antidote for poisoning by morphine, curare, and phosphorus. Trihydrate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Keep containers tightly closed. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.,) away from spilled material.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong reducing agents, strong acids, acetic acid, acetic anhydride, ammonia, finely powdered metals, phosphorus, sulfur, ammonium salts, organic materials.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. May accelerate burning if involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Extinguishing media: Use water only! Do NOT use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. Do NOT use alcohol foams. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire. Some may decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. May explode from heat or contamination. Some will react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as TWA): ppm; 5 (dust) or 1 (fume) mg/m3; as STEL: 3 mg/m3 (fume) (ACGIH 1994-1995). MAK: ppm; 0.5 mg/m3 (1994).
Chronic manganese toxicity through inhalation may result in manganism, which is a disease of the central nervous system involving psychic and neurological disorders. Men exposed to manganese dusts showed a decrease in fertility. Chroni c manganese poisoning shows early symptoms of languor, sleepiness and weakness in the legs. A stolid mask-like appearance of the face, emo tional disturbances such as uncontrollable laughter and a spastic gait with tendency to fall in walking are findings in more advanced cases. High incidence of pneumonia has been found in workers exposed to the dust or fume of some manganese compounds.
May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
May cause conjunctivitis. May cause eye irritation and possible burns. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
Std. Transport #