- Trisodium phosphide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Protect from moist air - will react to produce highly toxic phosphine.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Wear a fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and prevent all contact with the material. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. DO NOT GET WATER on spilled substance or inside containers. FOR CHLOROSILANES, use AFFF alcohol-resistant medium expansion foam to reduce vapors. Cover with DRY earth, DRY sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading or contact with rain. For powders, cover spill with plastic sheet or tarp to minimize spreading and keep powder dry. DO NOT CLEAN-UP OR DISPOSE OF, EXCEPT UNDER SUPERVISION OF A SPECIALIST.
Produces phosphine when exposed to water.
DO NOT USE WATER OR FOAM. Small Fires: Dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. Large Fires: DRY sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime or withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Produce flammable and toxic gases on contact with water. May ignite on contact with water or moist air. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Highly toxic: contact with water produces toxic gas, may be fatal if inhaled. Inhalation or contact with vapors, substance, or decomposition products may cause severe injury or death.
May cause burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, wipe from skin immediately. Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.