Sodium polyoxyethylene monoalkyl ether sulfate
- Glycols, polyethylene, mono(hydrogen sulfate), dodecyl ether, sodium salt
- Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl), alpha-sulfo-omega-(dodecyloxy)-, sodium salt
Component of surfactant for household detergents, surfactant for shampoos & bubble baths.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location in a tightly seeled container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed. All five-gallon pails and larger metal containers, including tank cars and tank trucks, should be grounded and/or bonded when material is transferred.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
If workplace exposure limit(s) of product or any component is exceeded (see exposure guidelines), a NIOSH/MSHA approved air supplied respirator is advised in absence of proper environmental control. OSHA regulations also permit other NIOSH/MSHA respirators (negative pressure type) under specified conditions.
Absorb liquid on vermiculite, floor absorbent or other absorbent material.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, various hydrocarbons.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Symptoms of exposure include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways), cough, central nervous system depression (dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, fatigue, nausea, headache, unconsciousness), involuntary eye movement, respiratory depression (slowing of the breathing rate), loss of coordination, confusion, irregular heartbeat, nesthesia, respiratory failure, coma, and death.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common. Oral, pharyngeal and esophageal burns may occur following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline. Colitis, esophageal stricture, and irritation of mucous membranes have also been reported.
Occupational asthma has been reported. Aspiration may result in upper airway edema and significant respiratory distress. Difficulty in breathing has been described in animals inhaling high concentrations of anionic surfactants.
Skin irritation has been reported after prolonged occupational dermal contact. Skin dryness, irritation, and contact dermatitis have been reported following varying degrees of exposure to detergents.
Can cause eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, redness, and swelling of eyes.
Immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Spontaneous vomiting frequently occurs following ingestion. If spontaneous vomiting does not occur then significant ingestion is unlikely. Administration of activated charcoal is unnecessary. Observe patients with ingestion carefully for the possible development of esophageal or gastrointestinal tract irritation or burns. If signs or symptoms of esophageal irritation or burns are present, consider endoscopy to determine the extent of injury. Patient should be evaluated for burns to the mouth and esophagus following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing, wash exposed area with copious amounts of water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.