- Sorbitan monostearate
Emulsifier for bakers' cakes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
11 (20 C)
1.0 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place, away from direct sunlight. Keep containers closed when not in use.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Clean up personnel should wear full protective clothing including respiratory protection if inhalation risk. Sweep spilled material into suitable containers and hold for later disposal.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Dense smoke will be emitted when burned with insufficient oxygen.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Clinical trials have shown that it has no irritant effect on the human skin in the concentration normally employed.
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
Foreign materials spilled on the skin may not represent a toxic or irritation hazard in small quantities, but may produce adverse effects if applied in large quantities or if used over a significant period of time. Whenever possible, foreign materials should be removed from the skin with simple washing. Should skin irritation or erythema occur, a patient may wish to seek medical assistance.
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.
3402 13 00