- Tn(IV) chloride
- Tin tetrachloride
Stannic chloride, anhydrous is a colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
As mordant, reviving colors, dehydrating agent in organic syntheses, stabilizer for colors & perfumes in soap, in dyeing of fabrics, weighting silk, tinning vessels, in ceramics to produce abrasion resistant or light reflecting coatings.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 34 52/53
S 7/8 26 45 61
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Vapor pressure, mmHg
79.68 (50 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
Soluble, slowly reacts
0.58 cp (60 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Keep away from metals. Corrosives area. Do not get water inside containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Amines, alcohols, sodium, potassium, plastics, metals, ethylene oxide.
Hydrogen chloride, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water Reactive. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Substance will react with water (some violently), releasing corrosive and/or toxic gases. Flammable/toxic gases may accumulate in confined areas (basement, tanks, hopper/tank cars, etc.)Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Toxic gases and vapors may be released in a fire involving the tin chlorides and stannous sulfate.
TLV (as tin): 2 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1997).
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis.
May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic toxic effects on the central nervous system, heart, and
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation.
May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting and seek IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ADVICE.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
Std. Transport #