- Tin(IV) oxide
- Tin dioxide
- Stannic anhydride
White, tetragonal (also hexagonal or rhombic) crystals.
Manufacture of milk-colored, ruby & alabaster glass, enamels, pottery, putty, mordant in printing & dyeing fabrics, in fingernail polishes.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2 (1500 C)
2.727 - 6.993 g/cm3
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
TLV (as tin): 2 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1997). NIOSH REL: TWA 2 mg/m3
Triphenyl tin: encephalopathy, polyneuropathy trimethyl tin: tinnitus, lightheadedness, aggression, unresponsiveness; seizures in one human case and in experimental animals tributyl tin: weakness, loss of appetite, headache trialkyl tin: eeg abnormalities and altered consciousness diiododiethyl tin: headache and cerebral edema
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Ingested inorganic tin exhibits only moderate toxicity due to poor absorption and rapid tissue turnover. Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. May interfere with various enzyme systems. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic effects on the central nervous system, heart and liver.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.