- Tin(IV) phosphide
- Tin phosphide
A silver-white mass or lump solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Hazards and Protection.
Protect from moist air - will react to produce highly toxic phosphine.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not use water. Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Keep material dry.
Reacts quickly upon contact with moisture or acids to give the very toxic gas phosphine Can react vigorously with oxidizing materials.
Do not use water. Use dry chemical or carbon dioxide.
Produce flammable and toxic gases on contact with water. May ignite on contact with water or moist air. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Some are transported in highly flammable liquids. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 OSHA PEL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other inorganic tin compounds (as Sn) except tin oxides.] IDLH 100 mg/m3 (as Sn)
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Highly toxic: contact with water produces toxic gas, may be fatal if inhaled. Inhalation or contact with vapors, substance, or decomposition products may cause severe injury or death.
May cause burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, wipe from skin immediately. Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
Flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
Std. Transport #