Stannous chloride dihydrate
- Tin(II) chloride dihydrate
Colorless to white, odorless solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
harmful, irritant, sensitizing
R 22 34 37
S 7/8 26 36/37/39 45
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Cl2Sn . 2 H2O
Melting point, °C
2.5876 g/cm3 (37.7 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. Do NOT get water inside containers.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV (as tin): 2 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1997).
2 (Very strong toxins)
Effects may be delayed. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Ingested inorganic tin exhibits only moderate toxicity due to poor absorption and rapid tissue turnover. Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. May interfere with various enzyme systems. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic effects on the central nervous system, heart and liver. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause systemic effects.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2827 39 10