- Strontium monosulfide
- Strontium sulphide
Grey, cubic crystals. Has odor of hydrogen sulfide in moist air.
Depilatory, manufacture of strontium chemicals, luminous paints.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
If you spill this chemical, you should dampen the solid spill material with 5% acetic acid, then transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 5% acetic acid to pick up any remaining material. Your contaminated clothing and the absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash all contaminated surfaces with 5% acetic acid followed by washing with a strong soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
React vigorously with acids to release hydrogen sulfide gas May react exothermically with oxidizing agents including inorganic oxoacids, organic peroxides and epoxides, and inorganic peroxides to generate toxic gases.
A fire in your laboratory involving this chemical should be extinguished with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or halon extinguisher.
Moderate fire risk.
In presence of heat.
Patients may acutely present with low heart rate, rapid heart rate, hyperventilation, respiratory depression even to the point of apnea, and/or hypo-/elevated blood pressure. Asphyxial seizures, coma, and death associated with rapid respiratory paralysis may be noted following exposure to high concentrations. Headache, sweating, vertigo, anosmia, irritability, staggering gait, disorientation, somnolence, weakness, confusion, and delirium may be noted following exposure to non-fatal levels. Spontaneous abortions have occurred after exposure to life-threatening concentrations.
Nausea and vomiting may be noted. Weight loss can be seen with chronic exposure.
Respiratory depression, cyanosis, pulmonary edema, bronchitis, and dyspnea may be noted following exposure to non-fatal concentrations.
Skin exposure may result in severe pain, itching, and erythema, especially in moist areas. Cyanosis may be noted following severe exposure.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.