Silvery-white metal; face-centered cubic structure.
In fireworks, red signal flares, on tracer bullets.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
570 - 660
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.038 (581.85 C)
2.38 g/cm3 (770 C)
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and working clothes.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Use a fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and prevent all contact with spilled material. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with DRY earth, DRY sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading or contact with rain. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect material and place it into loosley covered plastic containers for later disposal. This is a generic DOT guideline. EXCEPTION: For Dithionite (Hydrosulfite/Hydrosulphite) spills, UN1384, UN1923 and UN1929, dissolve with 5 parts water and collect for proper disposal.
Rapidly becomes yellow on exposure to air and assumes an oxide film.
DO NOT USE WATER, carbon dioxide OR FOAM ON MATERIAL ITSELF. It may react violently with water. Smothering may not be effect.
The finely divided metal ignites spontaneously in air. Ignites when heated above its mp.
May ignite on contact with moist air or moisture. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. May react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Supralethal radiation doses may result in headache, acute brain syndrome, alterations in mental status including coma, and (rarely) seizures within minutes of exposure. Prenatal ionizing radiation exposure may cause congenital anomalies, mental retardation, and an increased incidence of seizures.
Gastrointestinal syndrome (nausea/vomiting) commonly occurs after doses of 9 to 20 gy and may occur following doses as low as 5 gy. Initial vomiting is followed by persistent diarrhea, which may be bloody.
Pulmonary radiation injury may result in radiation pneumonitis and radiation pulmonary fibrosis.
Thermonuclear burns may occur. If erythema is produced by a penetrating radiation, serious systemic injury is certain.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.