Succinic acid peroxide
- Disuccinic acid peroxide
- 4,4'-Dioxo-4,4'-dioxydibutyric acid
- Butanoic acid, 4,4'-dioxybis[4-oxo
- Succinoyl peroxide
- Peroxydisuccinic acid
- Succinic monoperoxyanhydride
Fine white odorless powder.
Polymerization catalyst, in deodorants, antiseptics.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep well closed and protected from light. They should be stored in cool, ventilated, isolated area away from organic or other easily oxidizable materials and away from acute fire hazards. Containers should be kept closed and plainly labeled.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate clothing to prevent any reasonable probability of skin contact. Wear eye protection to prevent any possibility of eye contact.
Organic vapor-acid gas canister; exposed to these materials should use protective equipment.
ELIMINATE all ignition sources (no smoking, flares, sparks or flames in immediate area). Keep combustibles (wood, paper, oil, etc.) away from spilled material. Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Keep substance wet using water spray. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. SMALL SPILLS: Take up with inert, damp, noncombustible material using clean non-sparking tools and place into loosely covered plastic containers for later disposal.
Decomposes gradually in light.
May react explosively with
SMALL FIRES: Water spray or fog is preferred; if water not available use dry chemical, carbon dioxide or regular foam. LARGE FIRES: Flood fire area with water from a distance. Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Do not move cargo or vehicle if cargo has been exposed to heat. Fight fire from maximum distance or use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire. For massive fire, use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Fire risk in contact with combustible materials.
May explode from heat, shock, friction or contamination. May ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormally low blood pressure and apnea have been reported with severe poisonings. Cerebral edema, cerebral gas embolism, cerebral infarction, and seizures have been reported following ingestion of concentrated (35%) solutions. Death has been reported as a result of embolic cerebrovascular injury.
Burns of the esophagus and less commonly the stomach may occur after caustic ingestion; the absence of oral mucosal injury does not reliably exclude esophageal burns. Patients with stridor, drooling or vomiting are more likely to have esophageal burns.
Stridor, dyspnea, upper airway injury, and pulmonary edema, especially following inhalation of vaporized caustics, may occur.
Severe skin irritation and/or burns may occur.
Ingestion may result in burns to the lips, tongue, oral mucosa, and upper airway. Alkaline eye exposures produce distortion of cellular membranes, loss of corneal, the mucous membrane that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and the exposed surface of the eyeballl and lens epithelium and loss of endothelium of the cornea and blood vessels.
Mucosal if no respiratory compromise is present, dilute immediately with milk or water; no more than 8 ounces in adults and 4 ounces in children. Gastric ipecac contraindicated. Consider insertion of a small, flexible nasogastric or orogastric tube to suction gastric contents after recent large ingestions; the risk of further mucosal injury must be weighed against potential benefits.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothes. Irrigate exposed skin with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes or longer, depending on concentration, amount and duration of exposure to the chemical. A physician may need to examine the area if irritation or pain persist.
Home irrigation - exposed eyes should be irrigated with copious amounts of water for at least 30 minutes. An examination should always be performed. Ophthalmologic consultation should be obtained. Medical facility: irrigate with sterile 0.9% Saline for at least an hour or until the cul-de-sacs are free of particulate matter and returned to neutrality (confirm with pH paper).