- Sulfoethanoic acid
White crystalline solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry location.
Only to be used by persons specifically trained to handle this chemical and its container. Avoid direct contact.
Personal protective equipment should be worn by persons handling the material and eye protective equipment should be available.
NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evaucate area. Use protective equipment. Ventilate area. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container - hold for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Stable at normal temperratures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Toxic and corrosive fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Chronic exposure headache, dizziness and eye damage.
Ingestion of acids may result in burns, gastrointestinal bleeding, gastritis, perforations, dilation, edema, necrosis, vomiting, stenosis, fistula, and duodenal/jejunal injury.
Inhalation may produce dyspnea, pleuritic chest pain, upper airway edema, pulmonary edema, hypoxemia, bronchospasm, pneumonitis, and persistent pulmonary function abnormalities. Airway hyperreactivity has also been reported.
Harmful by absorption. Can cause burns and irrritation.
Severe burns and irritation.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing, wash exposed area with copious amounts of water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.