- Sulfuric oxychloride
- Sulfur chloride oxide
A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
Treating wool to prevent shrinking.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Reacts violently with water; Corrosive; Irritant
R 14 34 37
S 26 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.67 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.7 cP 24 C
1.4437 (20 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Will react with water to form toxic and corrosive fumes. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Not combustible, but if involved in a fire decomposes to produce chlorine, hydrogen chloride, oxides of sulfur, and other irritants.
Toxic and irritating gases are generated.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May cause systemic effects.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects.
Causes skin burns. Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. When substances becomes wet or comes in contact with moisture of the mucous membranes, it becomes an irritant. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes. If water-reactive products are embedded in the skin, no water should be applied. The embedded products should be covered with a light oil.
Get medical aid. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
2812 10 99
Std. Transport #