- Methyl ethyl carbinol
- Butylene hydrate
- DL-sec-butyl alcohol
Colorless liquid with a strong sweet odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Irritant; Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness
R 10 36/37 67
S 7/9 13 24/25 26 46
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.70% at 20 C
1.5 (butyl acetate = 1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 43 ppm
Solubility in water
3.04 cp (25 C)
1.3978 (20 C)
3.25 (25 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Do not store in aluminum containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A full facepiece respirator with organic vapor cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May form explosive peroxides on prolonged storage.
Acids, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, strong oxidizing agents, halogens, chlorine, nitrogen tetroxide, phosphorus trichloride, hypochlorous acid, aluminum, organic peroxides, perchloric acid, permonosulfuric acid.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. Extinguish using dry chemical, alcohol foam or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective. Water spray may be used to keep fire exposed containers cool.
Dangerous fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Flammable liquid. Ignites on contact with chromium trioxide.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire involving sec-butyl alcohol.
OSHA PEL: TWA 150 ppm (450 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 100 ppm (305 mg/m3) ST 150 ppm 455 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 2000 ppm
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Effects may be delayed. May cause lung damage.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. Rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May be harmful if inhaled. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause blood changes.
An irritant to the skin, causing a loss of natural oils. Can be absorbed through skin with symptoms paralleling those from ingestion.
Vapors can be irritating, causing tearing and pain. Splashes cause inflammation and blurred vision.
Induce vomiting immediately as directed by medical personnel. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Call a physician.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.