Dark yellow oily liquid with a waxy odor.
Soap stock, leather dressing, candles, greases, manufacture of stearic & oleic acids, animal feeds, abherent in tire molds.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.87 g/cm3 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Avoid all sources of ignition.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Reacts with acids to liberate heat Interaction with caustic solutions Strong oxidizing acids may cause a vigorous reaction that is sufficiently exothermic to ignite the reaction products.
Fire Extinguishing Agents Not to Be Used: Water or foam may cause frothing.Fire Extinguishing Agents: Water fog, carbon dioxide, or dry chemical
Slightly flammable. Combustion requires preheating. Moderate hazard.
Hot liquid can burn eyes and skin.
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
Foreign materials spilled on the skin may not represent a toxic or irritation hazard in small quantities, but may produce adverse effects if applied in large quantities or if used over a significant period of time. Whenever possible, foreign materials should be removed from the skin with simple washing. Should skin irritation or erythema occur, a patient may wish to seek medical assistance.
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.
USCG CHRIS Code
IMO Chemical Code
IMO Pollution Category