- Metallum problematum
- Aurum paradoxum
Coloring agent in chinaware, porcelains, enamels, glass, producing black finish on silverware.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.00000322902 (417.85 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Follow all MSDS and label precautions even after container is emptied because they may contain product residues. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Slowy tarnishes in air.
Zinc, strong acids, strong bases, oxidizing agents, active metals, halogens.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Containers may explode when heated. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam.
Moderate fire hazard, in form of dust when exposed to heat or flame or by chem reaction with oxidizing agents. Elemental tellurium will burn slowly in air.
A finely divided suspension of elemental tellurium in air will explode. Burning tellurium produces toxic tellurium oxide gas. Avoid solid sodium, halogens, interhalogens, metals, hexalithium disilicide. Reacts with nitric acid; reacts with concentrated sulfuric acid forming a red solution. Dissolves in potassium hydroxide in the presence of air with formation of deep red solution; combines with halogens. Avoid antimony and chlorine trifluoride; chlorine trifluoride reacts vigorously with tellurium producing flame. Fluorine and tellurium react with incandescence. Lithium silicide attacks tellurium with incandescence. Reaction with zinc is accompanied by incandescence (same potential with cadmium, only hazard is less). A vigorous reaction results when liquid tellurium is poured over solid sodium.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: TWA 0.1 mg/m3 *Note: The REL also applies to other tellurium compounds (as Te) except Tellurium hexafluoride and Bismuth telluride. NIOSH IDLH: 25 mg/m3 (as Te)
Reproductive effects have been reported in animals. Exposure to large doses may cause central nervous system depression.
Poison by ingestion. May cause headache. May cause nausea and vomiting. May cause garlic smell on the breath and body.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. May cause respiratory tract irritation. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema.
May cause skin irritation. Contact with the skin may cause skin lesions which are characterized by cracking and fissuring of the skin and the development of slow-healing ulcers.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code