Colorless liquid with a mild odor.
Chemical intermediate for linear alkylbenzenesulfonates (as mixture).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5e-5 (25 C)
0.8559 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
10.6 c[ (10 C)
3.2881x10-2 n/m @ 289.15 K
1.4818 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry place. Store in a tightly closed container.
Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with skin and eyes.
Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. To extinguish fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
Mild central nervous system depression or excitation may occur after ingestion or vapor inhalation. CNS effects can occur secondary to hydrocarbon pneumonitis and hypoxia, or from additives and contaminants (aniline, heavy metals, camphor, or pesticides). Some hydrocarbons are simple asphyxiants (e.G., Methane, ethane, propane gasses) which can produce CNS effects secondary to hypoxia. In a prospective study in Toronto, major congenital malformations were noted in 13 of 125 fetuses of mothers exposed to organic solvents during pregnancy.
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
May cause eye irritation.
Get medical aid. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.