Tetraethyl pyrophosphate and compressed gas mixtures
- Tetraethyl pyrophosphate and compressed gas mixtures (LC50 more than 200 ppm but not more than 5000 ppm)
- Tetraethyl pyrophosphate and compressed gas mixtures (LC50 not more than 200 ppm)
Insecticide-acaricide, used on three vegetable crops and three fruit crops, one of first organic phosphate insecticides in U.S., largely replaced by other products.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Drug; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
1.18 g/cm3 (25 C) (liquid)
5.1 cp (25 C)
1.4193 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Do not touch damaged containers or spilled material unless wearing appropriate protective clothing. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with plastic sheet to prevent spreading. Absorb or cover with dry earth, sand or other non-combustible material and transfer to containers. DO NOT GET WATER INSIDE CONTAINERS.
Quickly hydrolyzed by water, half-life at 25 C about 7 hr in a 50% volvol mixt.
SMALL FIRES: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide or water spray. LARGE FIRES: Water spray, fog or regular foam. Move containers from fire area if you can do it without risk. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. Use water spray or fog; do not use straight streams. FIRE INVOLVING TANKS OR CAR/TRAILER LOADS: Fight fire from maximum distance or use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles. Do not get water inside containers. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. Withdraw immediately in case of rising sound from venting safety devices or discoloration of tank. ALWAYS stay away from tanks engulfed in fire. For massive fire, use unmanned hose holders or monitor nozzles; if this is impossible, withdraw from area and let fire burn.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Highly toxic gases and vapors of unburned material and phosphoric acid are formed in fires.
NIOSH: REL: 0.05 mg/m3 TWA (skin)
Fever, low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure, or rapid heart rate and elevated blood pressure may occur. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms and profound weakness are common. Alterations of level of consciousness, anxiety, paralysis, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, fecal incontinence and abdominal pain may occur.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. Avoid any skin contact. Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Treat ingestions of greater than 40 milligrams per kilogram with decontamination of the stomach if within 4 hours of ingestion. Administer charcoal as a slurry.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #