Odorless white crystalline powder. Bitter taste.
Stimulant similar to caffeine which is found in all chocolate products.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 40
S 22 36/37
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Sublimation point, °C
1.419 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear safety glasses and chemical goggles if splashing is possible. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
This material is probably combustible.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause nausea and anorexia. May cause kidney effects.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause irritation of the mucous membranes.
May cause skin irritation. The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.
May cause eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.