Colorless liquid with a faint characteristic odor.
Solvent for dyestuffs, intermediate for producing dyestuffs, pharmaceuticals, rubber chemicals, flotation agents, insecticides, plasticizers, water-soluble reducing agent, biochemical reagent, pvc stabilizers, agricultural chemicals, textile auxiliary.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
toxic, corrosive, dangerous for the environment
R 20/22 24 34 51/53
S 26 36/37/39 45 61
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.0 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
81600 ppm (8.2%) at 20 C
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.38 mg/m3
1.1317 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
3.22 cp (20 C)
1.4963 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
B3 D1A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizers, calcium hypochlorite, metals, strong acids, caustics, aliphatic amines, isocyanates.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Combustible Liquid. Extinguishing media: Do NOT get water inside containers. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. May polymerize explosively when heated or involved in a fire. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways. Substance may be transported in a molten form.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
OEL-RUSSIA:STEL 1 mg/m3
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis. Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause CNS stimulation.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause muscle paralysis, respiratory failure, and possible death.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause dyspnea (difficult breathing from shortness of breath). Exposure to high concentrations of mercaptans can produce unconsciousness with cyanosis, cold extremities and rapid pulse. Mercaptans may cause nausea and headache.
May be fatal if absorbed through the skin. Causes irritation with burning pain, itching, and redness.
May cause severe eye irritation. May result in corneal injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
2930 90 70
Std. Transport #