- O,O-Diethyl O-pyrazinyl phosphorothioate
Amber liquid. Pure compound is almost colorless; technical product is light brown to tan.
Formerly a soil insecticide on vegetables, corn, strawberries, mint.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0014 (25 C)
1.204-1.210 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
1140 ppm (24.8 C)
1.5131 (25 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
52.6 (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
(Non-Specific -- Organic Phosphate Compound, Liquid, Poison B). Do not touch spilled material; stop leak if possible; use water spray to reduce vapors. Small spill: take up with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into container for later disposal. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal. (Non-Specific -- Parathion) Avoid breathing vapors. Avoid bodily contact with materials. Do not handle broken packages without protective equipment. Wash away any material which may have contacted the body with copious amounts of water or soap and water.
Wear positive pressure breathing apparatus and special protective clothing; remove and isolate contaminated clothing. (Non-Specific -- Organic Phosphate Mixture, Liquid, Poison B). Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. (Non-Specific -- Parathion) Avoid breathing dusts, and fumes from burning materials. Avoid body contact with materials. Wear full protective clothing.(Non-Specific -- Organic Phosphate Compound, Liquid, Poison B). Extinguish with dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or foam. Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. (Non-Specific -- Parathion) Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use foam, carbon dioxide, or dry chemicals.
Fever, low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure, or rapid heart rate and elevated blood pressure may occur. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms and profound weakness are common. Alterations of level of consciousness, anxiety, paralysis, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, fecal incontinence and abdominal pain may occur.
Cholinesterase inhibitor. (Non-Specific -- Organic Phosphate Compound, Liquid, Poison B). Poisonous; may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Contact may cause burns to skin and eyes.
Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, and blurred vision are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur in severe poisonings. Opsoclonus has been reported in one case. Salivation commonly occurs.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.
USCG CHRIS Code