Thiosulfuric acid, disodium salt
- Chlorine Control
- Chlorine Cure
- Disodium thiosulfate
- Sodium hyposulfite
White, odorless powder.
To remove chlorine from solution, as antichlor in bleaching of paper pulp, fixer in photography, mordant in dyeing & printing textiles, reducer in chrome dyeing, manufacture leather, extracting of silver from ores, bleaching bone, straw, ivory, reagent in analytical chemistry, antidote (cyanide poisoning).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from strong acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Sodium nitrite, strong acids, strong oxidizers, water reactive materials. Deliquescent in moist air. Efflorescent in warm dry air.
Oxides of sulfur, hydrogen sulfide, sodium oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Use water spray, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.