Tin tetrachloride, pentahydrate
- Stannic chloride, pentahydrate
- Tin(IV) chloride
Stannic chloride pentahydrate is a white colored solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
2.2 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1/552 cp (95 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water.
Combines vigorously with water with the evolution of heat. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Moisture, strong bases, strong acids, strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, water.
Hydrogen chloride, chlorine, irritating and toxic fumes and gases.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. DO NOT USE WATER! Contact professional fire-fighters immediately.
Substance is noncombustible.
Some are oxidizers and may ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
NIOSH REL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 OSHA PEL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other inorganic tin compounds (as Sn) except tin oxides.] IDLH 100 mg/m3 (as Sn)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis.
May cause severe digestive tract irritation with abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. Ingested inorganic tin exhibits only moderate toxicity due to poor absorption and rapid tissue turnover. Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. May interfere with various enzyme systems. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic effects on the central nervous system, heart and liver.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with pain, burns, and inflammation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause severe skin irritation with possible burns, especially if skin is wet or moist.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. When substances becomes wet or comes in contact with moisture of the mucous membranes, it becomes an irritant.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes. If water-reactive products are embedded in the skin, no water should be applied. The embedded products should be covered with a light oil.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
Std. Transport #