Grey to almost silver-white, ductile, malleable lustrous solid, odorless.
For babbitt type metals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0000006 (800 C)
7.16 g/cm3 (-0.15 C)
Solubility in water
1 cp (600 C)
544 g/s2 @ mp (231.9 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Oxidizes when exposed to air.
Halogens, nitric acid, sodium peroxide, sulfur, copper nitrate, hydrochloric acid, tin chloride, potassium peroxide.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use carbon dioxide. If water is the only media available, use in flooding amounts. Use dry sand, dry chemical, soda ash or lime.
NIOSH REL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 OSHA PEL*: TWA 2 mg/m3 [*Note: REL and PEL also apply to other inorganic tin compounds (as Sn) except tin oxides.] IDLH 100 mg/m3 (as Sn)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Chronic exposure to tin oxide dusts and fumes may result in stannosis (benign pneumoconiosis).
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Low hazard for usual industrial handling. Ingested inorganic tin exhibits only moderate toxicity due to poor absorption and rapid tissue turnover. Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, cramps, vomiting and diarrhea. May interfere with various enzyme systems. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic effects on the central nervous system, heart and liver. It may also interfere with absorption and metabolism of biological essential enzyme systems.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever, which is characterized by flu-like symptoms with metallic taste, fever, chills, cough, weakness, chest pain, muscle pain and increased white blood cell count. When inhaled as a dust or fume, may cause benign pneumoconiosis.
May cause skin irritation. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause irritation and/or dermatitis. Low hazard for usual industrial handling.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid if irritation or symptoms occur.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear.
Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. If irritation develops, get medical aid.
8005 00 00