Odorless yellow powder or crystalline solid. Almost tasteless at first and with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Acidified solutions give a blue fluorescence.
Medication (vet): diuretic & natriuretic agent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 22 36/37
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Human Data
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
4E-13 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
If you spill this chemical, dampen the solid spill material with 5% ammonium hydroxide, then transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 5% ammonium hydroxide to pick up any remaining material. Your contaminated clothing and the absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash all contaminated surfaces with 5% ammonium hydroxide followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Stable to temperature and light.
Incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This material is probably combustible.
weakness, areflexia, and fatigue may be noted secondary to hyperkalemia.
Nausea and vomiting may be noted.
Symptoms of exposure to this compound include gastrointestinal upset, dry mouth, weakness, tachycardia, hypotension, hyperkalemia, hypokalemia, rise in BUN and leukopenia. Other symptoms include hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis, rash and photosensitivity, blood dyscrasias, liver damage, cardiac irregularities, azotemia, elevated creatinine, renal stones, acute interstitial nephritis (rare), jaundice and/or liver enzyme abnormalities, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, thrombocytopenia, megaloblastic anemia, fatigue, dizziness and headache. Exposure can cause hyperuricemia, other disturbances in electrolyte metabolism, acidosis, allergic reactions and, rarely, thrombocytopenic purpura, fever and rigor. Muscle weakness may occur. Leg cramps may also occur.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. If symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop, immediately transport the victim to a hospital.