- Tri-n-butyltin oxide
- bis(tributyltin) oxide
Clear pale yellow liquid.
Fungicide and bactericide in underwater and antifouling paints, pesticide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
toxic, irritant, dangerous for the environment
R 21 25 36/38 48/23/25 50/53
S 35 36/37/39 45 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Organometallic; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1E-8 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.170 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
4.8 centistokes at 25C
1.49 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, tin/tin oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. To extinguish fire, use water, dry chemical, chemical foam, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use flooding quantities of water. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
This chemical is probably combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Toxic gases and vapors may be released in a fire involving organic tin compounds.
TLV (as tin): ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 A4, STEL 0.2 mg/m3 A4 (skin) (ACGIH 1997).
Repeated exposure may cause central nervous system damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Inorganic tin salts may cause systemic effects on the central nervous system, heart and liver.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2931 00 95