A colorless fuming liquid with a pungent odor.
In manufacture of transistors.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Extremely flammable; Reacts violently with water; Highly flammable; Harmful; Contact with water liberates toxic gas; Corrosive
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
596 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.344 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.332 cP @ 20 C
1.402 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep away from water. Flammables-area. Refrigerator/flammables. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Do not expose spill to water. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Oxidizing agents, acids, bases, alcohols, amines, moisture, water.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, silicon oxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Reacts violently with water giving off flammable gas which may explode. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. If water is the only media available, use in flooding amounts. DO NOT USE WATER!
Toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may form in fires. Behavior in Fire: Difficult to extinguish; re-ignition may occur. Vapor is heavier than air and may travel a considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back.
Toxic hydrogen chloride and phosgene gases may form in fires.
Effects may be delayed. May cause kidney damage.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause kidney damage. May cause cardiac disturbances. May be harmful if swallowed. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression.
May cause kidney damage. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause cardiac abnormalities. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation. May cause burning sensation in the chest.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Produces irritation, characterized by a burning sensation, redness, tearing, inflammation, and possible corneal injury. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. If water-reactive products are embedded in the skin, no water should be applied. The embedded products should be covered with a light oil.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #