- Tritolyl phosphate
Practically colorless. Liquid. Odorless.
A minor use for tricresyl phosphate is as an additive in lubricating oils to reduce wear on bearing surfaces.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Tumorigen; Reproductive Effector; Human Data; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
1.16 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.55 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear chemical goggles and a face shield. Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear impervious gloves. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use extinguishing media appropriate to the surrounding fire. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or chemical foam.
Slight fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame. No spontaneous heating.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
Poison by ingestion. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause headache. May cause muscle paralysis, respiratory failure, and possible death.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
Causes skin irritation. If absorbed, causes symptoms similar to those of ingestion.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Wash mouth out with water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.