A clear colorless liquid with a strong foul odor.
Plasticizer, vinyl stabilizer, grease additive, color inhibitor for resins.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 10 36
S 26 36
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
3.2 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Solubility in water
24.26 g/s2 (20 C)
1.41073 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep from contact with oxidizing materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong bases, may decompose on exposure to moist air or water.
Carbon monoxide, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Can release vapors that form explosive mixtures at temperatures above the flashpoint. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. May polymerize explosively when involved in a fire. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Moderate fire risk
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers.
May form hazardous decomposition products.
Reduced body temperature or elevated body temperature may occur. Low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure may develop after moderate to severe poisoning. Rapid heart rate, elevated blood pressure, and changes in respiratory rate may also occur. Early giddiness, anxiety headache, and restlessness followed by ataxia, drowsiness, and confusion are common with moderate to severe exposures. Sporadic reports of human birth defects related to organophosphates have not been fully verified.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
May cause eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.