- Aluminum, trimethyl
Clear, colorless liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
9 (20 C)
0.748 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.432 (12 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Use a fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and prevent all contact with spilled material. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with DRY earth, DRY sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading or contact with rain. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect material and place it into loosley covered plastic containers for later disposal. This is a generic DOT guideline. EXCEPTION: For Dithionite (Hydrosulfite/Hydrosulphite) spills, UN1384, UN1923 and UN1929, dissolve with 5 parts water and collect for proper disposal.
Spontaneously flammable in air.
Reacts violently with water, air and compounds with active hydrogen such as alcohols and acids.
DO NOT USE WATER, carbon dioxide OR FOAM ON MATERIAL ITSELF. It may react violently with water. Smothering may not be effect.
Flammable/combustible material. Spontaneously flammable in air.
May ignite on contact with moist air or moisture. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. May react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. May decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Inhalation of decomposition products may cause severe injury or death.
Contact with substance may cause severe burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.